Does Your Condo Association Permit Unit Owners To Have Electric Generators?

We have had a couple of questions from Connecticut condo owners about whether they are allowed to use electric generators in case of outages.electric generator

Does your association permit them? If so, what restrictions and requirements does it have?

If your complex has individual generators, have they caused any problems?

17 Responses to Does Your Condo Association Permit Unit Owners To Have Electric Generators?

1. Vincent G says:

I think that multi family dwellings should not allow generators. I will not put my health and life in someone’s else’s hands. Most people have no clue about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. I will not tolerate anyone living near me using one at all. I encourage others to do the same. Also there is the noise issue. Who wants to hear that and smell fumes all day and night. It’s not worth the risk just for a couple of days without power. My condo assoc does not allow it and I support the decision fully. If you want a generator go buy your own house first.

• Jamie says:

Several replies here blur the distinction between what individuals want and what condo documents allow. To be clear, if someone wants to use a generator in his or her own space, and there is no restriction imposed by law, ordinance, or condo policy, an individual in a different space doesn’t get any say in the matter. For most fuel-based generators, the imposition of restrictions is likely to come on the basis of noise.

• John the good person says:

Will wait to see you after 10 days without power begging to someone for some extension cord for your fridge or something more important. I would like to watch.

2. Jay says:

As the president of a small, 48-unit complex, my self and our BOD made a hard stand against generators before Sandy. We saw it as too much of a safety risk. Due to the construction of our buildings there is a large overhang which has will trap the CO emitted from the generators. We had one owed testing one a little over a year ago and his neighbor had to leave his home while the exhaust fumes left the building. After this we had to take a stand and it has done nothing but cause arguments. Unfortunately if they violate the policy there is little we can do. We can fine them, but legally we can’t touch the generator of take it away. I have a feeling in the future this will be more of a fight than it might be worth.

3. Kevin Kelleher says:

We had considerable discussion about generators in our association – the old guard establishment (the ones who are always against everything said no to any generators until I sent an inquiry to my state rep who quoted a state statute that says it is ILLEGAL to prevent a homeowner or anyone from activity that makes them safe in their own home during a state of emergency – we just put common sense guidelines on use such as complying with manufacturers guidleines and getting a permit if the person was hooking it into the power grid.

4. Mike says:

We have a number of homes that use generators when there is a power outage. There have been no problems but our condo is made up of stand alone homes with sufficient space around them to create less of a direct impact on others. However the noise is a problem and the proper installation is an issue. Safety has to be the number one concern.

Where they are allowed, there should be limits on the length of time that they can be run and limits on the noise level. It is certainly a contentious issue when they are used and hopefully that is not often.

5. Leon Bernard says:

I have been asking my Board since November, 2011 for guidelines and permission to install a portable power generator. At each monthly Board meeting this is another excuse why a ruling has not been made. Noise is not a vailable factor. My neighbor’s son has a whole house generator in a neighboring town. She tells me that it sounds like a lawn mower, 3 blocks away! They don’t have to run 24/7. Your furnace and refrigerator don’t run continuesly. An hour in the morning, and again perhaps in the afternoon, if you’re not at work, and an hour in the evening. They can be placed in ones driveway which, yes, is common property, but LIMITED common property. Limited to my exclusive use. Check your by-laws!

6. Pam Pisano says:

There are several holes under the deck from planks going in to the foundation. We recently found out that rats are getting in and destroying wires, etc. Is there any statutes stating that the Association is responsible to fix it? We have a pest contol company in and it will cost several hundred dollars. Need to know our rights and backup for them.

7. Catherine says:

In the event of an EMERGENCY, and the proper safety rules are followed, the state approves the use of a generator so why not a condo? If the quality of life is jeopardized during this time it certainly would be
    needed. Maybe a waiver can be used to insure any problems that may occur. I am sure users of generators do not want to jeopardize anyone’s safety.

8. Gayle Lopata says:

I always thought a generated is only on if there is an outage of power, so when is there noise at other times.
    Can a generator be put in a garage with a connection to the outside? Or does it gave to be on the outside. I live in a 42 unit condo complex in Suffolk county.

9. John Spady says:

And now comes along the Tesla Powerwall concept. Things are starting to get very interesting!

10. Susan says:

I live in a 12-unit condo complex, in New York, bottom floor and became aware of indoor, solar power, back up generators, that are juiced by a battery(s) that is connected to your electrical panel and individualized for your needs. It is quiet and comes with two solar panels. 30% Federal discount. Worth Googling back up generators for condos.

11. Dolly Lee Crout says:

Generator now are propane. Every year in Florida we are told to prepare for hurricanes. Since our condos have 4 propane grills outside why aren’t owners allowed to put propane generators on their porch as they only use them 4-5 hours at a time. As all condos we have volunteer boards where we have “condo commanders” who don’t allow us votes or even asking questions at the meetings so owners have stopped attending meetings. Yet, our management company who owners pay get their monies and even manage increase every year. Now I will go through HOA Ombudsmen to see where Propane generators stand..since our President changes the Rules & rulations to fit him.