Ct Condo Laws

The following information is provided by the Connecticut Judicial Department which cautions that this should be your STARTING place for research.

• Public Act No. 11-195 – An Act Concerning Elections of the Executive Boards of Directors of Condominium Unit Owners’ Associations and Changes to the Common Interest Ownership Act.

Connecticut General Statutes

Selected Statutes:

Chapter 828 – Common Interest Ownership Act

Part I – General Provisions and Applicability

Part II – Creation, Alteration and Termination of Common Interest Communities

Part III – Management of Common Interest Communities

Part IV – Protection of Purchasers

Part V – Common Interest Communities Containing Conversion Buildings

Chapter 825 – Condominium Act

Chapter 825 – Unit Ownership Act (Revised to 1975) (PDF)
Note: The Unit Ownership Act is not published in the current statutes, but it governs condominiums created before 1977.

Roberts Rules of Order – Newly Revised.  FAQ’s

25 Responses to Ct Condo Laws

1. I want to join with the group. I have inquired of CCOC. Our condo has rules that are not followed. We have a Rules and Regulations book. We have two women that are the management and approximately 8 members on the board. I can see them on any given evening standing outside holding meetings privately. They are not for us the property owners. They allow tenants to NOT follow rules.

So needed – A SUPPORT GROUP. Thanks,

2. Sharon says:

I live in a very small condo complex. We are having problems having condo statements on a regular basis (once or twice a year) as required by the by laws. The President of the Condo association is rarely around and the bookeeper impossible to deal with. Condo meetings are rarely held instead of the two required by the bylaws, we have one every three or four years. What can the rest of the condo owners do to force the association to adhere to rules of the by laws. Any advice whould be appreciated. Thanks

3. Kristin says:

I live in a condo in CT and I can hear everything my upstairs neighbor does, I thought there were laws determining what the noise level should be and I thought there had to be a certain percent of their floor covered. I’m seriously going crazy and I think the builder didnt do this correctly as I can also hear my neighbor next door as our walls are paper thin. Is there anything I can do?

4. Anthony says:

Insurance question: Can an owner dispute the association’s insurance company’s amount of settlement for a claim of loss due to water damage inside the unit? The association’s insurance company and the owner’s insurance company’s estimates are quite close. The owner is alluding to their wanting a contractor whose estimate is almost double those of the two insurance companies. Can the owner get his way, or are they obligated to accept the amount specified by either of the two insurance companies?

Thank you.

5. Mary says:

I live in a condo property in Wallingford. Our Board of Directors decided that they are going to put on new siding on our units. There was no vote. They said we had no say in the matter. They picked the contractor, without any input from homeowners. We did not see any bids from contractors, vote on if we wanted to get new siding at this time either. They also picked the finance company on their own and told us we are going to use these people without us even knowing anything about them. they also claim that you cannot sell your unit unless you pay them upfront….what amount they want you to pay who knows….this is a 800,000 – to one million dollar project. I have been told that this is not legal and that the Board of Directors do not authority to make such a huge decision without our vote. Is this true. What direction can the People of our complex take against this board. Also, they put members on the board that they choose without election votes from other homeowners. And they claim that they do not have to follow the ByLaws of our complex and that they can do anything they want. Is this true. This board of dirctors has done so many illegal transactions and have bullied people right out and have made people so upset that they leave. they tell people that we cannot turn lights on, have company, call us names dictate everything…..because they think they can. I know by reading the laws of the State of Ct that they cannot. Can you please confirm this and tell me what direction and help you may have to offer.

6. Gary Allen says:

Hi
    I am on the board of a condo complex in Bristol. We have a resident that has M.S. owners are required to move their car so their space can be plowed out. He has difficulty moving his car and has asked for help. Other members of the board have referred to it as Valet parking. Can the condo board fine him for not moving his car if he physically cannot. I am waiting for an answer from Protection and Advocacy.

7. Cecelia says:

Hello,

Can a board of directors vote or agree to waive their own common fees in lieu of holding a board of directors position.

Additionally can a board of directors vote or agree to waive an assessment on limited common work preformed at their unit while the rest of the unit owners pay the assessment.

Where can I find more information on these subjects.

8. Harry Sargeant says:

How do I obtain a copy of the 2010 Condo statues revised.

9. Susan says:

Can the board use reserve funds for cosmetics such as shutters without a vote from unit owners

10. Llew says:

The association my condo is under was created before December 31, 1973. Do these rules apply to my Association/Management?

11. Debbie says:

My condo association is run by a board of directors consisting of volunteer unit owners who are voted onto the board. The board members do not receive any compensation or reduced condo fees for being on the board. The condo association board of directors was established back in the early 1970’s. Do the current and/or future board members need to take the newly required property manager classes and competency tests?
    Thank you!

12. Jean says:

Can Rules and Regulations apply to some areas of the complex, but not to others? Ex: Can lights be installed on back decks that apply to the woods, but not on decks overlooking other condos?

13. Peg says:

Are 2nd floor balconies, that are accessible only by the unit owner considered common area? Some units have balconies and some don’t and we need to have work done on the balconies and the unit owners that don’t have a balcony feel they should not be assessed for this work being done.

14. Ellie says:

One of the condo owners in our complex is also employed by our condo’s management company. He used to be the president of our association and after much persistence on our part the management company finally said this is a conflict of interest (no kidding). Now he is on the condo board of directors. Wouldn’t the same logic apply – conflict of interest? Is there a law that you can point us to so we can show this is not legal? The management company is also making our condo pay the lawyer fees to figure out the original conflict of interest. This seems like it’s an employee issue that they should cover, not an issue caused by our association? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

15. Helena Short says:

The board of directors at my apartment is fining me for an unauthorized change of A/C sleeve in my unit. They are dating the letter of fine for August 8th but telling me in the letter the fines start August 1st and on for $25.00 a day. Is this legal? How am I to know that I will be fined if they aren’t writing the letter until a week after they start imposing the fines.

• They need to give you a hearing where you can defend yourself before they can fine you, unless there is a history with you and the board on this issue.

• Helena Short says:

I received a notice on July 12th dated for July 10th that my A/C sleeve was no longer compliant and I would be fined from the date of installation July 4th until it was fixed. I attended the hearing on the 17th, told them I was unaware it was not compliant and that the company I hired to install it would be rehired to come out and replace the original one. I have an appointment with that company for August 18th to come out and install the old one. I received a second letter on Saturday the 9th stating that they have started to re-fine me from August 1st on for the A/C unit not being compliant still. My issue is how can I know they are going to start fining me from the first if they don’t write the letter until the 8th? I don’t feel like this is a legal practice and I’d like to be prepared with some general information when I attend the 2nd board meeting this Thursday.